Spot welding is a specialized task that is utilized for welding two metal using electric current and pressure. So it becomes essential to opt for the best spot welder because a high-quality output will ensure a stable weld that won’t break down even after years.
Most importantly, a top spot welder will give you a smooth finish, which is essential whenever you are doing spot welding. So whether you want to use it daily or use it rarely, you shouldn’t settle for the ordinary.
Below, we have come forward with some of the best spot welders that worth every penny you spend on them.
When we search for the best spot welder in the market, one model that pops out in every recommendation list is Stark professional 240V spot welder. It is a high-performance machine that is more inclined towards giving you top-notch weld and portable rather than focusing on design.
With a current rating of 16amp and 240V support, Stark professional 240V spot welder is easy to operate a machine that can help you to accomplish any household welding tasks.
If you are thinking of strengthening your DIY arsenal with the best spot welder, then we would recommend you to go for Stark professional 240V portable spot welder.
Sunkko 737G+ is unarguably one of the best handheld spot welders that possess immense potential but haven’t got much popularity among users in the US. It has all the modern features that you would expect from a moderate budget spot welder.
Built with modern panel design, Sunkko 737G+ numerous types of intelligent welding modes that would take your welding skill to a new height. It is a multipurpose spot welder that flaunts various welding methods so that you can not only weld battery packs but also weld nickel strips.
Sunkko 737G+ is a top-notch spot welder that offers numerous welding facilities along with a terrific performance.
Mophorn 737G is a commercial level that is designed for assembling a broad array of small battery packs with optimum weld quality. It is an affordable machine that offers not only a commendable performance but also a decent amount of features.
When you look at Mophorn 737G, it will seem like just another welder in the market, but you should underestimate it based on its look and pricing.
Planning to build a battery pack for your DIY electric cycle? Looking for affordable spot welder to accomplish the task? Well, check out Mophorn 737G.
Solary 4200 can be introduced as an industrial level spot welder that will baffle you with its welding facilities and performance. Unlike others, it is an expensive device that suits different welding tasks, but it is mainly used for car dent repair.
Solary 4200 is a unique spot welding machine that offers a mammoth welding current of 4200A that is more than sufficient for welding any spot. All thanks to its dual function welding contact tip, you can spot weld any material from both sides, thus enhancing the durability of the weld.
If budget is not a problem and you are mostly looking for an industrial spot welder that would suit different projects, then go for Solary 4200, which won’t disappoint you.
We proudly present to you Lenco Marine LNXL4000 that undoubtedly one of the top spot welder that would satisfy you in every department. Although it is expensive, the features, weld quality, and durability it offers make it worth the price.
When you will look at Lenco Marine LNXL4000, it might not impress you in the first place due to a lack of modern panel and ordinary. But we can confidently say that it will impress you with its dual spot welding capability and quality.
Lenco Marine LNXL4000 is a heavy-duty spot welder that would get all your job done if you are looking to weld autobody.
Sunkko 788H is an all-in-one spot affordable spot welder that not only allows you to assemble battery packs but also lets you charge them. It is precisely engineered with numerous modern features so that you can accomplish all the required welding tasks comfortably.
Well, Sunkko 788H is a multipurpose machine that can notch up the welding current up to 800amp to assist you in assembling 14500 and 18650 battery stack instantly.
Sunkko 788H is a value for money product that treats you with true welding performance and tons of welding facilities.
Along with the reviews of all the most excellent spot welders, we have also included some essential topics regarding spot welding;
Metals That You Can Use When Spot Welding
Spot welding is a widely popular choice for joining two-piece of metals because it can work with varied types of metals. However, they are mostly utilized for welding two overlapped metal sheets.
- Steel, stainless steel, nickel, and titanium are the best material because you can easily weld them and get the required finish. However, steel is the most used material in this lot because it has low thermal conductivity and better electrical resistance than the rest.
- Although there are metals like galvanized steel, zinc and aluminum are compatible with spot welding, but they won’t get you the best result. These materials require a high amount of current, so it becomes costly and challenging to get a decent weld on them.
- Even though you can spot weld on different metals, but it doesn’t mean you can work on any thickness. In an ideal scenario, you can only work up to three millimeters, but in reality, 0.118inch is the maximum thickness you can work.
- Although it doesn’t get modern cooling its large vent with standard cooling system keeps overheating at check.
- So while welding on any metal, you shouldn’t go above thickness level ratio of 3:1 because either it will yield unfortunate results or will hamper the welder. Moreover, you should try to weld two metal of similar thickness as it will give you the smooth weld.
The Benefits and Disadvantages of Spot Welding
Every process comes with pros and cons, and so does spot welding. But it is those benefit that defines this process. So let check out all the pros and cons associated with it;
- Durable weld is the main benefit that you are going to enjoy when you do spot welding. Since it uses pressure mechanism and current so it can produce a solid weld that won’t break easily.
- While welding, you won’t need extra metal because of its electrode, along with current that does the job. It utilizes an electric current that goes through the electrode, and it efficiently attaches two metal. It also saves you from investing money on extra metals for welding.
- It is an effortless and swift process that gets the job done within no time. You will just have to connect them to the electric source to start your welding process. However, if the electrode gets old, then the process might get slightly longer than usual.
- Almost all the spot welders get a portable design, so it becomes easier for you to carry them wherever you require. They get an ergonomic handle and lightweight body that makes portability more convenient.
- Unlike other welding processes, it can provide a good weld with low amount heat so you won’t have to work around a tremendous amount of heat. Moreover, it prevents you from burning other parts of the metal.
- It allows you to weld on varied types of metals, so it becomes beneficial in different situations. Moreover, it facilitates you to work on a varied thickness level, thus making it handy for various projects.
- It serves as a useful tool for beginners because it is easy to use so they can comfortably handle them.
- A significant drawback of spot welding is that it is quite tricky to maneuver, and the position of electrodes will also confine your movement. So you won’t be able to work on metals that come with special shapes.
- It can’t work on metal with a high carbon rating, so the number of choices gets limited.
- If you don’t get the right heat settings, then you won’t get any weld.
What Safety Precaution Should I Take When Spot Welding?
- Even though spot welding isn’t a risky task, but you must take proper precautions before starting the welding process. You should read the safety instructions and guide before you start welding, and you should follow their instruction to stay safe.
- It is crucial to wear gloves and a proper mask while you are welding because it will prevent you from any accident.
- Since spot welding often gives rise to spark that can damage your eye so you should always wear goggles or any protective gear. While welding, you should looking directly looking into the spark because it can lead to retinal damage.
- Electrodes dissipate a lot of heat during the welding process; thus, it is recommended that cool them properly before using on a flammable surface; otherwise, it would start a fire.
- Before you start your welding, it is safe to apply primer, finishing pair, or sealer on the welding metal because it will make the job smoother and reliable.
- You should never use dirty or improperly aligned electrodes because they will cause block the electrode from movement during welding. Uneven heat or force also makes the electrode get stuck during welding. So you should avoid this kind of circumstance as it might cause a mishap.
Spot Welder Tips
Here are some essential tips that you should remember;
- While welding always makes sure you are using an aligned electrode with accurate tips, otherwise, it will jeopardize the whole weld.
- Use the correct heat setting and a sufficient amount of force because the insufficient amount can lead to poor weld.
- Always clean the metal surface before you start your welding process because dirt or surface oxide can give rise to unwarranted surface heating.
- While purchasing a spot welder, it is best to get a model that has variable current and voltage settings.
- Maintenance is the key to maintain the spot welder’s performance and prevent the electrode from producing a tremendous amount of surface heat. Keep the electrode contamination-free and curb all the buildup.
- Try to get spot welder with a high duty cycle because it will not only save a reasonable amount of time but will also improve the efficiency of the work.
- It is best to opt for a welder that offers Class A weld because this standard ensures that you will get high strength weld quality.
- Choose the size of the welder based on the tasks you want to achieve because an oversized welder will cause a lot of issues during welding.
Spot Welder V/S MIG
When it comes to the difference between spot welding and MIG welding, there are many things to talk about.
- Spot welding is a simple solid-state joining process where two metals are welded together using pressure, heat, and current.
- Whereas the MIG welding liquid state arc welding process in which a solid wire electrode is heated and drowned into the weld pool. When those two material melts together, it creates the weld.
- In MIG, the base metal used for welding is melted with the help of an electric arc, and it causes the joining. But in spot welding, an electric pass through the base metal and the resistance faced by the current create heats for welding.
- A spot welder would get a weld done within a few minutes, whereas a MIG will take the right amount of time to get the same task accomplished.
- You won’t have to grind the weld area after doing spot welding, but you will need to do some grinding after the MIG process.
- Spot welder mostly comes in small to compact sizes, so they might not be suitable for large commercial projects. However, MIG welder comes in varied sizes, so it becomes easy for users to choose a model based on the requirement.
- In terms of costing, MIG is an expensive process, and the user with budget constraints might find it difficult to bear the cost. Spot welding, on the other hand, is highly cost-effective, and with a limited budget, one can accomplish the welding task.
- The operation process is straightforward, and you will only need the current source to weld two metals. But for MIG, you will have different types of materials to get a good quality weld.
- Spot welding works better with sheet metal or low thickness materials, whereas MIG can work on both thin and thick metals.
- Whether you are a beginner or seasoned welder, you won’t have difficulty in doing spot welding. But for MIG welding, you would need experience and skill to get a good arc.
1. What is a spot welder used for? How a spot welder work?
Spot welder is used for a simple welding task where it welds two metals together with the help of the current. Spot welder utilizes a resistance welding technique where the welder passes an electric current through the copper alloy electrodes, and it gives rise to thermoelectric heat.
So when you pressure for welding a particular spot, the heat creates the weld, and it can go up to max 12mm.
2. Why is spot welder so expensive?
Although standard spot welders aren’t expensive, commercial models come with a hefty price tag. The main reason behind their hefty price tag is their high duty cycle and smooth yet robust weld quality. Moreover, some commercial spot welder gets premium electrodes that
3. Can you use single-sided resistance spot welding?
Single-side resistance spot welding is not an option if you wish to weld tricky areas in a structure. This welding has many limitations regarding its maneuverability, so you will have to utilize the double-side welding technique to cover tricky areas.
Although you can use this spot welding technique, it won’t give you the weld quality you expect.
4. Can you use a spot welder on aluminum?
You can make use of a spot welder for welding aluminum, and aluminum is slowly replacing steel for various projects. Aluminum is lightweight and offers good weld, so many welders are opting for aluminum for spot welding.
Now, you have gone through the reviews, FAQs, and various other topics, we are confident that you can easily choose the best spot welder depending upon your need.
All the products we have mentioned are thoroughly tested by our experts so that you won’t regret your decision when you choose a welder from the list.
Whether you decide to buy Stark professional 240V or Mophorn 737G, all the models will pamper you with top-notch welding performance and tons of other facilities. However, while working with a spot welder, you should take proper precautions because welding often leads to sudden accidents.
So without wandering here and there, get the right product from the list.
Sean Coby is a welder par excellence and well respected among the welding community in Woodbridge, VA. He prides himself to be the fabricator and mechanic in the automotive/ diesel industry for the past more than eight years now. As the chief editor of his https://weldinginfocenter.com, he shares his experience to be safe during welding and to take proactive steps for becoming a successful welder like him.